December 21, 2006

Harder than it looks

I've seen a couple of people do the Alphabet meme and it looked pretty easy, you are supposed to list 10 things you like that start with an assigned letter. So after I read the Nabbalicious version, I asked her for a letter. The letter that I got was "M". M. What the hell starts with M?

  1. Margaritas- My favorite girly drink. It's perfect for any time of the year. Did I tell you that after Attila's birthday party, after everyone left and everything was cleaned up, I had the traditional "You-made-it-to-her-first-birthday" celebratory margarita? or two? It really hit the spot.
  2. Movies- I do indeed love movies. Who doesn't though, right? Do you think there actually are people who don't like movies? Can you even imagine? I think they make movies for just about everyone.
  3. Mimosas- I love a mimosa brunch. The thing about mimosas is not the taste- although they are yummy, the thing about mimosas is that I only drink them on special occasions- and that makes them taste even better. It's a very celebratory beverage. AND you are drinking before noon! And yes, brunch totally counts as a "special" occasion. (Is it bad that I have two alcoholic drinks on my list? I swear I really don't drink that much at all. Anymore.)
  4. M&Ms - moving right along from alcohol to candy... M&Ms are one of my favorite treats. I usually go for the peanut kind, though from time to time I will go on a plain kick. I used to like the peanut butter ones, but I think they changed the recipe. The crispy ones are just wrong. Mint? Also very wrong. Sometimes, when I am eating M&Ms I will eat all the red and blue ones first just so I can reminisce about how they used to look in the 70s. Oh light brown, poor under loved M&M, how I miss you...
  5. Mai Tai- OK I was trying to limit my alcoholic beverage enjoyment to just two on the list, but I had to make an exception. Who knew I liked so many beverages that start with the letter M? Mai Tai has a double meaning because it also references an annual party that my girlfriends throw and Mai Tai just happens to be the theme and the signature drink. It's been 12 (is that right?) years running, and although we are kind of in a tame stretch, I expect the wild craziness to return any spring now. It's an all day affair with tons of good food and of course, Mai Tais, made with two kinds of rum. Big fun.
  6. Muppets- Ernie used to be my favorite on the Street, and Fozzie was my favorite on the Show, but I can't even say I have a favorite anymore, I just love them all so much for different reasons. As a kid I never got a lot of the innuendo between Piggy and Kermit, so it's even funnier to me watching it as an adult. Jim Henson was a genius. The Great Muppet Caper was the first movie that I ever saw in a movie theater (though my parents had taken me to the drive-in before that.) and I remember that my cousins and I sat in the front row. I just found out the other day that they have now closed that movie theater. I didn't know they were going to close it, or I would have gone one more time just for old time's sake. I have many many Jr High memories of that movie theater.
  7. Motorcycles- I am too wimpy to actually own one, but I do like them. I especially like classic BWMs, like this one from the 50'sIsn't that cool? Now imagine that I lived in a small town or, even better, on an island somewhere and I could toodle around town on that! How cool would that be? I could zoom to the grocery store and then over to the post office. It'd be perfect.
  8. Mac- As in Macintosh laptop. Love. Can't even express how much I love. Will never ever go back. No viruses! Easy to use! Makes sense to humans! Funny commercials! Big love!
  9. Matthew Broderick- I have loved Matthew since Ferris Bueller - no wait, I have loved him since Wargames actually- and I just know that if we ever met in person, and SJP was not around, that we would really hit it off and become fast friends. (If SJP was around, well, I would be a nervous twit and feel all frumpy and like I weighed 500 pounds, so the most I would be able to utter would be a "Hi", and then I would have to run away.) Matthew would immediately put me at ease, maybe we'd have coffee, and then he would show me around his Greenwich Village neighborhood. Then maybe later we would catch a show...
  10. Mesa Verde National Park- Located in southwestern Colorado, in my opinion, this is one of the most beautiful parks in the country. It also happens to be the very first National Park, thanks to Teddy Roosevelt. It's the park that has all the pre-columbian cliff dwellings preserved. It's so impressive to see the dwellings and imagine how people used to live there so long ago. There are thousands of sites within the park and only a fraction of them have been excavated. The park also has a nice lodge to stay in, so if you don't feel like unpacking the tent AGAIN, and it's October and starting to get really cold at night, you can stay there, be warm, and even have a shower, for a fair price. Also, I recommend the Buffalo quesadillas. (Note to Wanderlust: Beans! Rice! Corn!)

Is that 10? That's 1o!

If you want to play along leave me a comment and I will assign you a letter.
**Edited to Add: If you create a post as a draft, don't forget to update the date. Whoops!**

10 comments:

Pusher said...

Somehow I completely missed this post until just now. I'd like to play!

Pusher said...

Also,

1. I had no idea about the traditional "You-made-it-to-her-first-birthday" celebratory margarita! Thanks for doing your part in getting that out there — I imagine there are many women whose mothers, out of a misguided sense of prurience or whatever other cause, neglected to pass on this wise tradition and who are grateful and indebted to you. :-)
4. I miss the light brown M&Ms too. I don't like the blue ones.
7. Pretty.
8. YES! Yay for the Mac love!

Syl said...

I want a letter!

And don't forget Mojitos, my new favorite drink!

Allknowingjen said...

Mmm! I do also love Mojitos! I need to perfect a mean Mojito recipe.

Letter Assignments
Pusher- you get "L"
Syl - You shall have "C"
GO!

Kashka said...

Can I play? After they got rid of the light brouwn M&M, I thought, "If I wanted it to look like I was eating Skittles, I'd eat Skittles."

Anonymous said...

What the heck. I'll play too. And #5 -- there's 3 kinds of rum -- light, dark, and golden. Mmmm!

Allknowingjen said...

Everyone plays!
Kaska you get "R"
Ang you get "T"

3 kinds of Rum hmm? Well! Even better!

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Ok, I totally missed the memo on the first-year-margarita! Maybe now with Take Two I'll remember.

Also, I want to play, too! Probably won't get to it until after inlaws leave, but gimme a letter! Gimme a letter! (Pretty please?)

Allknowingjen said...

Mrs Huis, I think you should have a vowel... how about "E"?

Sorry you didn't know about the traditional margarita! Luckily you will get a second chance. ;)

Ms. Huis Herself said...

E?! Ok, I'm up for it! But I think I may be glad I won't get to actually doing it until the inlaws leave... gives me more time to ponder it!