Just a whole mess of things not really a cohesive post.
- I am supposed to be making a grocery list right now. Not happening. Well, I've got the list vibe going, but the planning and the thinking of healthy yet yummy meals? Not so much.
- I bought ballet flats. Even though they might make my legs look like tree trunks (well, even more so than usual) I couldn't resist. Bonus: they were cheap. And I am pretty sure I am not an espadrille kind of a girl so I went with the flat trend instead.
- My new favorite recipe; Cold Sesame Noodles. I've made this twice in the last week. The second time I added chicken and that was yummy too.
- Attila has hit the drunken leprechaun stage. She is stumbling and talking and having entire conversations that use dramatic vocal inflection. She's very animated. We have no idea what on earth she is saying, but that doesn't seem to bother her, she just keeps chattering at us. Occasionally, she will bark. Also, she likes to wear sunglasses - She doesn't keep them on in the car of course, where they would help, but if we go inside she loves to keep them on. She wore them all over the library yesterday. I wore mine too. We pretended to be celebrities.
- Remember how I was talking about giving things up? I came across another story about a family in NYC that are trying to live without making any waste. No trash, no toilet paper, no gas powered transportation. But then the article revealed that he was a writer put up to the task by his agent (to sell books) and the wife wasn't really on board (would you be if your husband said you weren't allowed to use toilet paper for a year?!? I mean, not even a leaf? Gah.) Not to mention they live in a very posh NYC neighborhood, and even though they won't buy chemical cleaning products, they will employ a maid. So it's all just kind of false and questionable, and they seem to be making the parameters up as they go. Here's a snarky review of the article. (If you click through, you'll get to the original NY Times article too- if you care.) It left a bad taste in my mouth, so I wasn't going to talk about it on my blog. But here it is. I am all for making changes in order to benefit the environment and all, but I would rather see 100 people make one small change rather than read about this freak going to an unsustainable extreme.
- So, in thinking about what I could/should give up my own self, I am thinking about giving up eating out. Which admittedly we don't do all that often anymore, at least not going to a restaurant and eating there- but we do get take-out quite a bit. I'm not sure I could do it. It would be difficult. I bet we'd save money and lose weight. I'm not sure we could do it. Which probably means it's the right sort of challenge. This will all be news to my husband. I haven't mentioned this idea to him yet.

5 comments:
Mmm.. Cold sesame noodles. One of my favorites when I nannied. Very good for hiding vegetables in for kids. Because anything is better if it tastes like peanut butter. I'm going to be giving up on regular eating out while on leave. Then see if we can maintain when I am back at work. However, I need help with easy nutritious meals.
If you're looking for another quick meal that tastes nummy, here ya go. I made it up one day when looking in the fridge. It's become Wog's favorite. Takes only 15 min.
Chicken stir fry
2 chicken breasts, thinly sliced/bite size pieces
2 cloves garlic
2 T. sesame oil
one red or yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
small bunch of asparagus (@ 10 thin pieces) boken in half (so about 20 smaller pieces)
2-3 T soy sauce
sprinkeling of ginger (if desired)
one onion (sliced)
Brown chicken in oil and garlic. Add bell pepper and cook for about 1-2 min. Add onion, soy sauce, ginger, and asperagus. Cook all until just tender but not totally limp.
Enjoy with rice or noodles.
I've never put asparagus in stir fry before- it just didn't occur to me I guess- but it sounds yummy!
That does sound like a yummy recipe!
I'm with you on the New York writer. At least they're fairly up-front about it being an experiment designed for a book deal. They did not mention, I notice, whether one of her preconditions for agreeing to that nonsense was that *he* be the one to change the all-natural diapers from there on in. Because if this were my husband's gig and I had a 2-year-old? That'd be Condition #1. Condition #2 would be that the pre-event shopping splurge involved the installation of a warm-water bidet.
I love the image of you & Attila being famous and fabulous in the library. :-)
I love the Drunken Leprechaun stage! Eventually they start making too much sense and getting a little too smart for their britches, but we occassionally slip back into drunken leprechaun. YAY!
Post a Comment